Good grief, I have no willpower. I signed up for SP 10, even though I originally promised myself I was going to hold off on this round. But it’s just so much fun! This time around I’m hoping to knit at least one gift for my partner. I just didn’t have time to do it during the last round. Anyway, on to the required questionnaire…
1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
I hate knitting with really cheap, scratchy acrylic. Now, I’m not snobbish about it. There are some acrylics I don’t mind working with (such as Bernat Satin), but there are other fibers I prefer. I love wool and cotton, and I’ve enjoyed the soy-wool yarn out there, too. I’d love to try out some different fibers, though, such as linen or bamboo.
2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
Since I use my Denise Interchangeables for most everything, those are just stored in the neat little case they come in. I have a set of crochet hooks that are stored in the case they came in, and
my DPNs are just floating around my knitting tote bin. I need to find a better storage solution for those.Update! I now have a beautiful knitting needle roll for my DPNs. I shall misplace them no more!
3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I’ve been knitting since November 2005. I guess I would consider myself an advanced beginner. I pick up techniques pretty easily, but I just don’t have as much time to devote to learning new stuff as I’d like.
4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
5. What’s your favorite scent?
I love vanilla, sandalwood, strawberry, and anything citrusy. I’m not a fan of strong floral scents or really “sweet” fruity scents.
6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
I do have a sweet tooth, but I’m trying very hard to eat less candy. I do allow myself to indulge in dark chocolate, and occasionally sour watermelon candies. I also love cookies of all kinds.
7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
I do not sping. Primarily I knit. Occasionally I make cards, too.
8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
I like a variety of music — I will listen to just about anything except for modern country music and most rap/hip hop. Some of my current (as in “now on the radio”) favorites are Regina Spektor, The Decemberists, Ray LaMontagne and Badly Drawn Boy.
9. What’s your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can’t stand?
I like anything except really bright colors.
10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I am married to Drew (6 years in June!), and we have two little boys, Jake (4) and Noah (1). We have a cat, Maggie, and two goldfish, Hulk and Enid.
11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
Scarves: yes; hats: yes; mittens: love the idea, but I usually default to gloves; ponchos: no
12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
Anything that is not terribly boring. I’m a fan of quick projects right now, and I like knitting things for around the house. Scarves are probably my least favorite so far.
14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
I love my Denises, which are resin and I adore my set of Balene II DPNs so I guess that makes me a fan of plastic. I also like knitting with bamboo, though, and the majority of my DPNs are bamboo. I have one set of aluminum needles, and those are my “dishcloth needles.” I find aluminum too slippery most of the time, except when making my dishcloths.
16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
I own a yarn winder.
17. How old is your oldest UFO?
A few months old — it’s the aforementioned Irish Hiking Scarf
18. What is your favorite holiday?
19. Is there anything that you collect?
20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
I can’t really think of any knitting books I’m dying to have. I think I’d enjoy reading one of Stephanie Pearl-McPhee’s books, though. I enjoy picking up knitting magazines as a treat. I like them all, really!
21. Are there any new techniques you’d like to learn?
I’m really looking forward to my first lace project, and I’d also like to try Swiss darning on a project in the near future (maybe a pillow or a felted bag).
22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
I am not a sock knitter. I wear a size US 8 shoe.
23. When is your birthday?