{Recipe} Sour Patch Grapes (a.k.a. “Glitter Grapes”)

{Update April 2, 2013) – Welcome Pintester readers! What can I say? Guess these just aren’t for everyone. If you think they’re gross, that’s OK. I think beets are gross. Tomato – tomahto, right? Anyway, if you try these and aren’t impressed, here’s a tip: put the grapes in a colander and rinse off the Jell-O powder and you’re left with plain grapes again. Also? If you use a different flavor of Jell-O (I used MELON, not lime), or sugar-free, they’re probably NOT going to taste like the original recipe. Just sayin’. And finally? Guys… it’s grapes and Jell-O. I think the expectations are a little too high, LOL…

{Update June 26, 2012} – I am completely overwhelmed by all the pins for this blog post! I am so glad that so many people are enjoying these. And thanks for all of your great suggestions in the comments. I am definitely trying them frozen this summer! Since originally posting this recipes, I have made the glitter grapes with a few different flavors, but my favorite is still either Melon Fusion or Watermelon (depending on what I find at the store). I still have not tried them with sugar-free Jell-O, but I will try to get to that. In the meantime… thanks for visiting!

Jake’s Pinewood Derby was a couple weeks ago and our den was asked to bring fruit to the event. While it is super great that they are encouraging more healthful snacks at scouting events, I was racking my brain for some way to make fruit more exciting. It couldn’t involve skewers because, well… all those crazy boys were going to be running around. I could just envision one going right through a Wolf scout’s eye or something. Shudder.

Then I remembered a link that Dara had posted on Facebook. It was for sparkly sweet grapes. Perfect! I’d had sugar frosted grapes before and enjoyed them, but I have never felt comfortable with the whole raw egg-wash thing. It’s one thing if I’m making them for a small group of people I know well, but not for a community event. There are too many people with egg allergies these days. I’d hate to be the person who made someone sick. Glitter Grapes, however, do not require anything questionable. All you need are grapes and Jell-O.

glitter grapes
I went with green grapes and Melon Fusion Jell-O. I wasn’t sure how the color of the gelatin would effect the the overall color of the grapes, so I tried to keep it in the same family.

The first thing you do is thoroughly wash your grapes. Don’t skimp on the water. The grapes need to be wet in order for the Jell-O to stick to them.
glitter grapes

Next, pour out about 1/3 of the Jell-O powder onto a plate.
glitter grapes

Drop a handful of grapes into the powder and coat them on all sides.
glitter grapes

You can use a spoon if it’s easier. The powder tends to gunk up on your fingers (yes, “gunk up” is the technical term).
glitter grapes

Add more gelatin powder as needed and continue the process until all the grapes are covered. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
glitter grapes

And that’s it! I am calling them “sour patch grapes” because quite a few people thought I got my hands on some of the sugar they use on Sour Patch Kids. This recipe was seriously easy and seriously good. Believe it or not, people were actually looking for me so I could tell them how I made the grapes, LOL! And Drew overheard two boys from the Webelos II den talking about how good the glitter grapes were. He said, “If they inspired a couple 5th grade boys to talk about them long after they’re gone, I think you’ve got a winner.” Ha! :-) This will probably be my go-to picnic/potluck dish this summer. I’m sure other flavors of Jell-O are good, too. But I’m sticking with the melon!

Sour Patch Grapes (a.k.a. Glitter Grapes)

glitter grapes

1 pound of green seedless grapes, pulled from the stems and rinsed
1 3-oz. package of Melon Fusion Jell-O (NOT prepared)
Water
Directions

Rinse the grapes under water until all are clean and wet. Spread the gelatin mix on a plate, about 1/3 at a time. Place a handful of grapes on the plate and gently roll each grape in the gelatin powder until it is covered. Place the coated grapes into a bowl and repeat the process with the remaining ingredients until all of the grapes are covered. Place the bowl and let set in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour, until the gelatin is set. The colder these are, the better they taste!

Be sure to visit Sandra at Diary of a Stay at Home Mom to check out other delicious recipes!

103 comments

• Konae Hauser says:

The blog author was saying she didn’t want to use the egg recipe because of worrying about egg allergies. So this recipe was a great alternative. I love it… Such good ideas on pinterest. (That’s what sent me)

1. Tanya says:

These are a great snack to have on hand in the summer time and perfect for a picnic/cookout. I have made these with sugar free jello too! I always just sprinkle the jello powder over the grapes in the colander instead of rolling. MUCH quicker!

2. andrea says:

I am make something similar every summer.. i use red grapes rinse them in water sprinkle with strawberry jello, then freeze them, there sooooo good in the frezzer and always a hit with the kids.. iam def gonna try the gliter grapes

3. Alesha says:

I make these all the time!!! But I actually put them in the freezer!! So good, especially on a hot summer day!!!!

4. Jessica says:

These look great! Will definately try. Can you just pour the jello mix in a bag, add grapes, and shake? Might try and let you know if it works!

5. Beth says:

Enjoying red grapes and Tropical Fusion Jell-O. Couldn’t find the Melon Fusion, but I am still looking cuz I have 3 pounds of green grapes in the fridge! This is fun and delicious. My 13 year old is now ready to freeze peanut butter balls and throw them in chocolate pudding mix…. she is going to be a chef someday šŸ˜‰

6. Kayla says:

GAH! So excited to try these. I have a Lia Sophia party to go to this week and I need to bring a snack with me. I bet they will be a hit!

7. Kari says:

These are so amazing! I knew they would be when I read this, but after making them, they are even better than I thought! After I washed them, I just threw them in a plastic bag with the melon jello mix–I might take the time to roll them if I was taking them somewhere that I cared how they looked. I also put them in the freezer (but they didn’t make it long enough to become completely frozen). Thanks for the simple, simply brilliant idea!

8. Takara says:

I just made these, and they are great!!! But I also added the pineapples I had in the fidge and used peach jello!!! Talk about GOOD, I’ve found my summer must have snack.

9. Raye says:

These look totally delish, and is something I will definitely be doing if I can keep the kids off the grapes long enough!! :) But I was wondering why you chose to not let us “Pin” these?? I use my pintrest to organize things I want to do…saves me having to remember why I saved a web site?? Thanks for sharing :)

10. Lesley says:

I did this today with ‘Melon Fusion’ Jello. Amazing! I felt like a little kid again with some awesome new candy!

11. Jodi Smith says:

I am going to try these for 4th of July! red grapes and blue raspberry jello I think the kids will love them!

12. Pingback: Sour Patch Grapes
  13. Sally Castellano says:

I feel I’ve perfected the jello-coating method. What I did was place as many wet grapes as would fit on a salad plate and snipped the corner off the jello packet to sprinkle, then rolled the grapes onto a second plate to coat the other side. I then rolled them into a tupperware container and sprinked a little more to coat. This kept the jello from “gunking up”.

14. Lisa says:

Wondering about using Crystal Light. It’s sweetened with Splenda & has no carbs or sugars. Not exactly chemical free but an idea for those who would rather be free of big butts. :)

15. Angela says:

Any reason why you couldn’t put the Jell-o mix in a Ziploc bags, add the grapes, seal and shake? Just wondering since it would seem an easier (and possibly less messy) task.

• Angela says:

Finally got around to this today! Because I am diabetic, I used two packets of sugar free Jell-O. You were right about the clumping, but seemed to be better once I added the second packet. Delicious! Thanks!

16. Michelle says:

Easier coating: Gallon size zip lock bag. Put grapes in bag and then sprinkle with the jello and shake till well coated. Pour in a pretty dish for serving after chilled. :-)

17. Katy says:

I just made these, and they were delicious!! I find that they taste more like Sour Punch Straws than Sour Patch Kids… tomato tomahto.
    I featured the grapes on my blog and linked to you!
    Thanks for the great idea. :)

• Carol says:

I suppose you have never topped pasta with Parmesan cheese, or added a sauce to a delicious steak. It’s not that grapes don’t taste good. It’s just for something fun and different. So sorry it’s not your cup of tea.

18. whit says:

so i tried these yesterday, followed the directions exactly.. tried two different flavors, fusion melon and lime. and ive gotta say they didnt come out so good. not that they didnt taste good, but after freezing them the texture was really strange and i threw both batches away. the texture was pretty gritty. so my question is, if you dont freeze them and instead just chill them by popping them in the refrigerator for a couple hours, would that still work?

• Carol says:

Yes, I refrigerate them! My recipe doesn’t require you freeze them, though some people like them that way. I just chill them for a few hours.

19. Rebecca says:

I made this for myself yesterday with green grapes and raspberry jello, I’m calling them “Bloody Eyeballs” LOL. Color DOES make a difference! But Bloody Eyeballs would be excellent for a Halloween Party!
    I only used half of the Jello packet….that may have been my problem. I plan on using the rest on STRAWBERRIES!! I imagine this treatment will have an AMAZING impact on strawberries, can’t wait!

20. Pingback: Frosted Grapes
  21. audra says:

This sounds awesome. I have cut apples and dipped them in jello. I’ve tried a few flavors, but stawberry or cherry taste most like candy apple to me. The watermelon jello was kinda different. The kids pretty much liked it all the same.